trunk and 10.3 support

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Mar 1 22:53:00 PST 2009

After the privsep GSoC stuff was merged to trunk [1], some ports failed due
to the new feature changing file ownership [2,3].  I fixed this by instead
using lchown() so that links themselves were updated, instead of their
targets [4].

The problem is that 10.3 doesn't support lchown() which means that currently
trunk fails to build there.  Using a HAVE_LCHOWN test, we could fall back to
using just chown() but then we're right back to the original problem but
just for 10.3.  Porting lchown() to 10.3 is not going to happen unless we
start shipping a custom kernel for those machines.

So the big question is, do we pull privsep or use this as a good point
(1.8.0) to drop 10.3 support?  Or complicate things to just not build the
privsep on 10.3?

Bryan

[1] - <http://trac.macports.org/changeset/46954>
[2] - <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18573>