trunk and 10.3 support

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sun Mar 1 23:38:41 PST 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 10:53 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> The problem is that 10.3 doesn't support lchown() which means that
> currently
> trunk fails to build there.  Using a HAVE_LCHOWN test, we could fall
> back to
> using just chown() but then we're right back to the original problem
> but
> just for 10.3.  Porting lchown() to 10.3 is not going to happen
> unless we
> start shipping a custom kernel for those machines.

You could also simply punt on the notion of link ownership for tiger
(call chown() for non-links, do nothing for links) since I seem to
recall that they inherited their ownership information from their
containing directory on 10.3 anyway - links have been somewhat less
"real" in prior releases than they are today.

- Jordan