trunk and 10.3 support

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 2 05:49:35 PST 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 07:39, Joshua Root wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Mar 2, 2009, at 04:30, Anders F Björklund wrote:
>>
>>> Last time this was discussed, the decision was that
>>> MacPorts 1.7.x would support Panther but not 1.8...
>
> Well, inasmuch as we "support" anything. The default response to
> Panther
> issues is "patches welcome", whereas it's "oh, we should fix that" for
> Tiger/Leopard.

Sure. Oh, right: other issue that we have on Panther, that we've had
since 1.6.0, is that debug/verbose mode doesn't print most of the
info it should on Panther. Makes bug reports even harder! :) #15814.
I at least was able to isolate the commit that caused this, though
not to figure out enough of it to provide a fix.

>>> For next release, it should drop 10.3 and add 10.6
>>> At least as far as the DMG disk images go, that is...
>>
>> I don't remember agreeing to drop Panther for MacPorts 1.8.0. :)
>
> I do. :-)
>
> Sorry, we forgot to tell you, all the *real* decisions are made on
> IRC. ;-)

Oh no. We're not having that again. :) This is sounding like my last
job where all the real decisions were made outside on smoke breaks.
As one of the only non-smokers, I was frequently out of the loop.

> Seriously though, it's going to be up to whoever builds the dmgs in
> the
> end.

I would say it's up to all of us developing the software up to the
point when we want to make a release. The person packaging the
release can't release a version for Panther, even if he wants to, if
it doesn't compile on Panther.

> IIRC, reasons given for not building a Panther dmg for 1.8 were
> that it confuses the 'supported' status already, and that Snow Leopard
> may well be imminent by then.

Well, the existence of a new operating system version that only works
on Intel Macs probably doesn't have much bearing on the OS upgrade
priorities of someone who has a PowerPC Mac.