perl5.8 fixup

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 7 16:44:41 PST 2009

On Mar 7, 2009, at 15:49, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> I don't know how useful perl is with no modules but it sounds good
> to me to be able to install perl without them.
> perl5.8-core sounds appealing.

I don't think there's a desire to allow perl5 to be installed without
the modules, but there is a desire to have each of those modules
represented by its own port where it can be separately updated and
maintained and depended upon.

There will of course be pain in switching from a perl5.8 port which
installs perl to a perl5.8 port which installs no files and depends
on a perl5.8-core port which installs the same files that perl5.8
used to install.