perl5.8 fixup

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Sat Mar 7 17:00:35 PST 2009

Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at ...> writes:

> On Mar 7, 2009, at 15:49, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>
> > I don't know how useful perl is with no modules but it sounds good
> > to me to be able to install perl without them.
> > perl5.8-core sounds appealing.
>
> I don't think there's a desire to allow perl5 to be installed without
> the modules,
If I understand http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12710#comment:10
correctly, some modules are required.

Please forgive me, but I am having a little trouble understanding
what is being proposed with this meta-port suggestion.

>but there is a desire to have each of those modules
> represented by its own port where it can be separately updated and
> maintained and depended upon.
Isn't that what we have now?

> There will of course be pain in switching from a perl5.8 port which
> installs perl to a perl5.8 port which installs no files and depends
> on a perl5.8-core port which installs the same files that perl5.8
> used to install.

If I understand what is being discussed (please correct me if I'm wrong),
we would
   * copy perl5.8 -> perl5.8-core.
   * create a port which installs all the core p5 ports.
   * make perl5.8 do nothing except depend on perl5.8-core and the new p5 umbrella port.

It seems that this does not buy us anything, so I fear I am missing something.

-Marcus