perl5.8 fixup

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Mar 7 21:09:52 PST 2009

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:
> If I understand what is being discussed (please correct me if I'm wrong),
> we would
>    * copy perl5.8 -> perl5.8-core.
>    * create a port which installs all the core p5 ports.

Missing step:
     * Remove the conflicting modules from the perl5.8-core port

>    * make perl5.8 do nothing except depend on perl5.8-core and the new p5 umbrella port.
>
> It seems that this does not buy us anything, so I fear I am missing something.

It allows to update/install p5-* ports without touching perl5.8-core, as
they are no longer part of this port.

I have to say, I did not test if this would work at all. Our install
mechanism for p5-* requires a working perl, but I am not sure if
perl5.8-core without modules would be enough for it to work. Testing
required.

Rainer