perl5.8 fixup

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Sat Mar 7 21:54:23 PST 2009

 From what I have gathered from parsing the file system and p5 ports
these are the conflicting ports:
bash-3.2# cat perl58_meta_p5_module_list.txt
p5-cgi
p5-digest
p5-next
p5-test-harness
p5-test-simple

Using that list and this script which I think gets the job done more
or less:
bash-3.2# cat perl58_meta_p5_module_dep.sh
#!/bin/sh
echo perl5_meta_p5,p5_dep
while read p5_name; do
	for p5_dep in $(port echo depends_lib:$p5_name[^-]); do
		echo $p5_name,$p5_dep
	done
done < perl58_meta_p5_module_list.txt

It looks like these are the only ports that are depending on these p5
ports directly:
perl5_meta_p5,p5_dep
p5-cgi,bugzilla
p5-cgi,ikiwiki
p5-cgi,monarch
p5-cgi,sympa
p5-digest,p5-net
p5-test-simple,p5-curses-ui
p5-test-simple,p5-dbix-class
p5-test-simple,p5-moose
p5-test-simple,p5-test-exception
p5-test-simple,p5-test-memory-cycle

If I nest the for loop in the script 5 times I end up with 66 ports
depending directly or indirectly on those 5 conflicting p5 ports.

If I'm close to correct, another approach that is not as slick as
moving all the perl5 modules into p5 ports, but possibly much easier
on porters and users, would be to remove the 5 or so p5 ports that are
the root of the problem.

Then remove those 5 or so p5 ports as dependancies for the 10 or so
ports that depend on them.

If any ports require a newer perl module then is installed by and
registered to the perl58 port let the port author of that needs the
newer module contact the maintainers of perl58 resolve the issure in
the normal macports way. Have the perl58 port handle the update of the
modules registered to it.

And if for some reason the perl58 port can't upgrade the modules
registered to it then let the port author include the newer module IN
THEIR port and not put it in the path of the perl58 module. I'm
willing to bet this can be done without much difficulty.

Doesn't this sound right?

Seems a lot less painful and probably doesn't break as much stuff nor
require as much testing as moving all perl58 mods to p5's.

Just an idea my friends.

//Brad