perl5.8 fixup

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Tue Mar 10 12:57:14 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 01:19:12AM +0000, Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:
> Eric Hall <opendarwin.org at ...> writes:
>
> > 	Given that MP installs (most) modules into vendor_perl,
> > I think the order should be:
> >
> > 	site, vendor, then perl base/core.
> >
> > 	I like the line(s) you have for showing the directory ordering
> > in the patch, I'll incorporate those.
> >
> > 	I have a diff that does this, still testing.  I may
> > have a fix/hack for the man page problem as well, more details
> > if it pans out.
> >
> > 	Why did you have p5-test-simple install into site_perl
> > instead of vendor_perl (given that the general default for
> > macports p5-* is to install into vendor_perl)?
>
> As far as I know, site_perl is not being used.
> Installing into site_perl seems like a convenient way to
> keep careful control over these special p5-ports.
>
> Although I do not feel strongly about it, I would still vote for the order
> site, perl base/core, vendor.
> It seems that the smaller the change, the better.
>
> For what it's worth, it is the way FreeBSD does is
> (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/perl5.8/).

	I'm pretty clear that for MacPorts the order
should be site, vendor, then base.  That way there is
the ability to (locally, site/user) put modules into
the first search directory, then MacPorts installed
modules are found next (from vendor), then the base
perl modules.

	Note that FreeBSD puts site first *and* puts
ports-installed perl modules into site, that's probably
why they don't use vendor.

		-eric