perl5.8 fixup

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Mon Mar 9 19:12:17 PDT 2009

On Mar 9, 2009, at 6:19 PM, Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:

> Eric Hall <opendarwin.org at ...> writes:
>
>> 	Given that MP installs (most) modules into vendor_perl,
>> I think the order should be:
>>
>> 	site, vendor, then perl base/core.
>>
>> 	I like the line(s) you have for showing the directory ordering
>> in the patch, I'll incorporate those.
>>
>> 	I have a diff that does this, still testing.  I may
>> have a fix/hack for the man page problem as well, more details
>> if it pans out.
>>
>> 	Why did you have p5-test-simple install into site_perl
>> instead of vendor_perl (given that the general default for
>> macports p5-* is to install into vendor_perl)?
>
> As far as I know, site_perl is not being used.
> Installing into site_perl seems like a convenient way to
> keep careful control over these special p5-ports.
>
> Although I do not feel strongly about it, I would still vote for the
> order
> site, perl base/core, vendor.
> It seems that the smaller the change, the better.
>
> For what it's worth, it is the way FreeBSD does is
> (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/perl5.8/).

I love to leverage the careful considerations others have put into
similar problems and freebsd is somewhat of a natural because it's
ports system is similar in many respects to the darwin macports combo.
Freebsd has the freebsd base and the ports collection. We have macosx
base and the macports collection.

//Brad