Deprecating port list

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Thu Mar 12 07:13:48 PDT 2009

> The 'port list' command has led to much confusion in the past.
>
> For most people it does not do what they expect, as it is listing the
> latest version of available ports. For example, 'port list installed'
> will not list the installed versions, but the versions available. It
> can
> also happen that it lists the same port multiple times with the same
> version information, confusing users even more.
>
> My proposal is to remove 'port list' in favor of other commands which
> are already in port. Users should use 'port search', 'port
> installed' or
> 'port echo' instead.
>
> * Deprecate 'port list' in 1.7.x by printing a warning message
> * Remove 'port list' in 1.8.0
>
> It would be possible to rename it to 'port latest', but I am not
> sure if
> this command would be useful.
>
> Comments?

I should like to think that we should mimic other port systems ---
what methods do they commonly have available?

I happen to be familiar with yum: install, update, check-update,
remove, list, info , provides, whatprovides, clean, makecache, search,
shell, resolvedep, deplist, repolist, help

Should we pick one system and go with it (or did we and I missed that
memo)?