Deprecating port list

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Mar 12 07:57:06 PDT 2009

Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> I should like to think that we should mimic other port systems ---
> what methods do they commonly have available?

But what should 'port list' do in your opinion? We can try to fix the
existing command. But in its current form, it causes too much confusion.

> I happen to be familiar with yum: install, update, check-update,
> remove, list, info , provides, whatprovides, clean, makecache, search,
> shell, resolvedep, deplist, repolist, help
>
> Should we pick one system and go with it (or did we and I missed that
> memo)?

I don't see a reason to tie ourself to a specific other system. We are
getting new users coming from all different platforms.

Would you expect MacPorts to have Super Cow Powers? ;-)

Rainer