Deprecating port list

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Mar 12 11:10:03 PDT 2009

Jay Levitt wrote:
> Rainer Müller wrote:
>> This is basically 'port outdated'. What would be the use of this if it
>> is so similar?
>
> I think "port list" could/should be an alias for "port outdated".  I'm not
> usually a fan of synonyms, but "list" is a basic function, provided by yum,
> gem, and quite probably others.  Sure, you can document it in the wiki, but
> why force users to look something up and type a different command when you
> already know what they mean?
>
> Is there a use case where someone would be displeased by the output of "port
> outdated" when they do a "port list", and where they'd be more pleased to
> see "Please see the documentation" or "No such command?"

`port list installed`,`port list all`, `port list <specific port>`.

Having commands just because users might try them doesn't seem like a
good policy to me. As for the "we know what they meant" argument, it
would seem that we don't, judging by the differences in what we think
the command should do.

I'm happy for list to be removed. If it stays, its output needs to be
changed so it's clear what it is showing, and so 'list installed' does
something sensible. One possibility would be to have two labelled
columns, one for the available version and one for the installed
versions of each port.

- Josh