perl5.8 fixup

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Mar 15 22:17:38 PDT 2009

Hi Bradley and Eric,
(and all others still following this thread),

I invested some time to find out how other packagement systems I use
deal with this issue. I checked mostly with the Getopt::Long and CGI
modules. The versions below are what I have currently installed, YMMV.

== Gentoo ==

The modules coming with dev-lang/perl are installed to
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/, man pages are still shipped with a .3pm suffix in
the usual location.

The modules also exist as extra packages, these get installed into
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/. The man pages which come with these
modules are ignored and not installed at all. perldoc is recommended
instead.

The environment has been altered: MANPATH gets exported to search some
additional directories, but nothing relevant to perl. There is also no
PERL5LIB in the environment.

$ perl -le 'print join("\n", @INC);'
/etc/perl
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i686-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i686-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i686-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8
/usr/local/lib/site_perl
.

== Debian (lenny) ==

The modules are splitted over perl, perl-base and perl-modules. They are
installed to /usr/lib/perl/5.10.0/ or /usr/share/perl/5.10.0/. I don't
know or see the rules for this split.

Man pages are part of perl-doc which are installed to the usual location
with a .3perl suffix.

Additional modules (lib*-perl) are installed to /usr/share/perl5. Man
pages here get a .3pm suffix in the usual location.

For the man pages, the man configuration was altered to search the 3pm
section before 3perl, so you get the man pages from the extra packages
first.

The environment has not been altered (no MANPATH or PERL5LIB).

$ perl -le 'print join("\n", @INC);'
/etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0
/usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0
/usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/perl/5.10
/usr/share/perl/5.10
/usr/local/lib/site_perl
.

$ man -aw CGI
/usr/share/man/man3/CGI.3pm.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/CGI.3perl.gz

I hope this is useful and interesting for you and may help to find a
solution for MacPorts. If you are interested in further informations
about these systems‚ I can provide them.

Rainer