perl5.8 fixup

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Mon Mar 16 09:33:18 PDT 2009

On Mar 15, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Hi Bradley and Eric,
> (and all others still following this thread),
>
> I invested some time to find out how other packagement systems I use
> deal with this issue. I checked mostly with the Getopt::Long and CGI
> modules. The versions below are what I have currently installed, YMMV.

Thank you Rainer.

> == Gentoo ==
>
> The modules coming with dev-lang/perl are installed to
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/, man pages are still shipped with a .3pm
> suffix in
> the usual location.
>
> The modules also exist as extra packages, these get installed into
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/. The man pages which come with these
> modules are ignored and not installed at all. perldoc is recommended
> instead.

This could be good. Just not have perl5.8 install man pages. If perl
users don't use them why waste effort. A perl user to me is someone
who writes code in perl. That's not me. I just use programs written in
perl as most of us do at some point.

Out of principle I've been doing my best to find a solution to -f p5's
that some perl5 user down the road will be happy with.

I'm not a perl user and don't personally care.

> The environment has been altered: MANPATH gets exported to search some
> additional directories, but nothing relevant to perl. There is also no
> PERL5LIB in the environment.
>
> $ perl -le 'print join("\n", @INC);'
> /etc/perl
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i686-linux
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i686-linux
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i686-linux
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl
> .
>

> == Debian (lenny) ==
>
> The modules are splitted over perl, perl-base and perl-modules. They
> are
> installed to /usr/lib/perl/5.10.0/ or /usr/share/perl/5.10.0/. I don't
> know or see the rules for this split.
>
> Man pages are part of perl-doc which are installed to the usual
> location
> with a .3perl suffix.
>
> Additional modules (lib*-perl) are installed to /usr/share/perl5. Man
> pages here get a .3pm suffix in the usual location.
>
> For the man pages, the man configuration was altered to search the 3pm
> section before 3perl, so you get the man pages from the extra packages
> first.
>
> The environment has not been altered (no MANPATH or PERL5LIB).
>
> $ perl -le 'print join("\n", @INC);'
> /etc/perl
> /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0
> /usr/lib/perl5
> /usr/share/perl5
> /usr/lib/perl/5.10
> /usr/share/perl/5.10
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl
> .
>
> $ man -aw CGI
> /usr/share/man/man3/CGI.3pm.gz
> /usr/share/man/man3/CGI.3perl.gz

I was very interested in having the per5.8 rename it's man extensions
to something that would be found after p5 module.
I couldn't find where the Configure script allowed for this although
they do make allowances for having man pages for man1, site_man1 and
vendor_man1.

> I hope this is useful and interesting for you and may help to find a
> solution for MacPorts. If you are interested in further informations
> about these systems‚ I can provide them.

Thanks for the research Rainer. To me it looks like perl users don't
really use perl man pages. Makes sense to me that perl would have
better resources then man pages for documentation. I'd say the patch
that has been submitted is a very good solution in that it's simple
and backward compatible as far as I can tell.

I think we should move forward with the submited patch.
http://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/12950/Portfile.20090310.1655.patch

Sound good?

Ok, execute :)
Engage.