Is isysroot useful for non-universal?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sun Mar 22 13:11:06 PDT 2009

On Mar 22, 2009, at 2:43 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> The documentation on isysroot seems a little sparse.
>> According to the cross development documents, isysrtoot is not
>> even in the man pages because "this feature is likely to change in
>> the future."
>> So my somewhat limited knowledge is from experiments.
>> As I understand it, -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk
>> treats /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/ as / when it comes to
>> includes.
>> So it won't find anything in /usr/local/include because
>> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/local/include
>> does not exist.
>
> Probably what one should do, then, is to dig up some of the tickets
> where software in /usr/local was deemed to be the cause of the
> problem, recreate the issue on a machine, and then change MacPorts
> to use isysroot and/or syslibroot and see if it avoids the problem.

note that we'd need to use autoconf to check for the location of the
SDK (if we don't already) since it doesn't have to be installed at /
Developer/SDKs on 10.5.

Also, the last time I checked, with isysroot you only get the stuff in
the SDK so while it would fix looking in /usr/local, it would also
prevent looking in ${prefix} for headers and libraries, which we don't
want. There may be a way to work-around that though.

We probalby want to eventually use -nostdinc and -nostdlib plus adding
back all of the paths that don't include /usr/local to fix the /usr/
local searching issue.

--
Daniel J. Luke