Discouraging variants [was: Re: port install efficiency issue]

Perry Lee perry at macports.org
Wed Mar 25 13:29:04 PDT 2009

On Mar 25, 2009, at 5:44 AM, C. Florian Ebeling wrote:
>>> Wouldn't it make sense to provide a separate and conflicting whole
> port maybe for this hten? I now that seems a bit farfetched, but
> I'm trying to understand the implications of an hypothentical
> removal of the variant concept altogether, which I would find
> quite a clean scenario. I don't see a real blocker for such a move
> yet.

For the previously listed variants (+doc, +server), these can be made
into separate ports; however, what do you do in cases such as the curl
port?  For example, the curl port has the variants openldap and
sftp_scp.  I don't imagine many users would need these features, but
there are users that use them. Enabling these features by default is
not reasonable because their dependencies are heavy (specifically
openldap), but making these two variants a separate port also doesn't
make sense. The variants openldap and sftp_scp are not mutually
exclusive; I may want to enable both. Without variants, I don't see
how we could handle these types of situations.