Discouraging variants [was: Re: port install efficiency issue]

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Wed Mar 25 13:55:18 PDT 2009

>> port maybe for this hten? I now that seems a bit farfetched, but
>> I'm trying to understand the implications of an hypothentical
>> removal of the variant concept altogether, which I would find
>> quite a clean scenario. I don't see a real blocker for such a move
>> yet.
>
> For the previously listed variants (+doc, +server), these can be
> made into separate ports; however, what do you do in cases such as
> the curl port?  For example, the curl port has the variants openldap
> and sftp_scp.  I don't imagine many users would need these features,
> but there are users that use them. Enabling these features by
> default is not reasonable because their dependencies are heavy
> (specifically openldap), but making these two variants a separate
> port also doesn't make sense. The variants openldap and sftp_scp are
> not mutually exclusive; I may want to enable both. Without variants,
> I don't see how we could handle these types of situations.

I always thought default variants took care of making things simple
for the novice yet allowed you to override what variants were used if
you were advanced.

Granted, that's just the facade of easiness, when it does supply you
more choices.

I guess what I'm saying is we can have the average user depend on the
defaults to be the "easy" route and the advanced user can care about
the variants.