mistake in my solfege portfile, seeking guidance

Allen McBride allencmcbride at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 23:25:42 PDT 2009

As I've written at
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18870
I made a mistake in my portfile for solfege.  For a silly reason, I
didn't realize that Mac users, in order to use Solfege, needed to
install an external MIDI player and then point Solfege at that player
in its preferences, once it's running.  Therefore I think I should add
qtplay as a runtime dependency for solfege.  I'm working with the
author to make it so that Solfege will default to the correct settings
if it's being built on a Mac.  In the meantime, I'm thinking I should
submit a new portfile with the following changes:

1) Include qtplay as a runtime dependency

2) Include the following (I copied the ui_msg thing from python26):
post-activate {
    ui_msg "\nAfter starting Solfege for the first time, select\
File->Preferences. \nUnder the External Programs tab, under the
subheading\
Audio File \nPlayers, enter \"qtplay\" in the field labeled \"MIDI:\".\
Under the \nSound Setup tab, select \"Use external MIDI player\".\n"
}

3) Include "revision 1"

Does this seem like the right course of action?  I could also just
wait until I get everything ironed out so that users don't have to
mess with preferences at all.  But I hate to think of users being
frustrated with the error message that Rainer told me about on the
ticket.  I guess I don't have any idea how many MacPorts fans are
likely to install a yet-unadvertised, minor port like solfege in the
next week or two.  Could be zero or fifty, for all I know.

Thanks,
Allen