Archives and Packages (was Re: Universal and binary builds)

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sat Mar 28 17:40:22 PDT 2009

On Mar 28, 2009, at 5:10 PM, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> I'm saying that you were largely honking the same Newer! Better!
> Bestest!
> themes 5+ years ago.

Hurm.  If that was your take-away from this, then I somehow
*seriously* failed to make my point, both 5+ years ago and now.  I am
not asking, nor have I ever asked, for "Newer!  Better!
Bestest!" (assuming, of course, that I even know what you meant by
that ;-).  I'm asking for *minimum requirements* for mainstream
success and that's all I'm asking for.

Now, perhaps MacPorts does not want to go mainstream, much less
achieve mainstream success.  I've voiced that particular theory more
than once myself, and don't forget: I've watched MacPorts go from an
Apple internal project, done by some fraction of an FTE spread across
the 2-3 of us who worked on it sporadically on and off the clock, to
an external, purely volunteer-driven project which looked for quite
some time like it was simply going to hit the ground with a meaty thud
and DIE, to a purely volunteer-driven project with some actual
volunteers and a rather amazing resurrection, as Open Source projects
go.  Once OSS projects get seriously ill, they generally just die,
they don't recover and go onto even greater success than they had at
initial launch, so sure.  I could easily see the MacPorts project
saying, in some collective consciousness fashion: "Hey, we nearly died
and came back to life!  We have a lot more ports than we ever did
before, a lot of them even work now, so hey, what the hell do you
want, BLOOD?  Go peddle your binary packages somewhere else!  We're
busy!"   I can see a whole lot of justification for that point of
view, which is why it's always with a sense of unease and mixed
feelings that I even get into this whole, stupid packaging discussion
from time to time. :-)

That said, should MacPorts ever DO decide to go from having thousands
of users to having hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of users,
I don't think I'm way out of line in suggesting that one reason will
be because checklist items 1-4 were finally checked off by somebody.
It CAN be done, Anders' tales of woe from previous MacPorts attempts
in this area notwithstanding, with projects like Debian proving it
every day (due to the innate superiority of their packaging tools, I
suspect).

OK, that bit in parenthesis was just to piss Jeff off, I didn't really
mean it. ;-)

> And MacPorts still has none of the infrastructure that you've
> outlined,
> however reasonable your goals may be. The goals, in fact, are
> reasonable.

...  and we could work backwards from this statement in search of any
number of potential causes ("they don't care!", "they don't know
how!", "they didn't use RPM 6!") but I'm not sure it would get us
anywhere. :-)   I suspect this is simply one of those "when its time
comes, it will happen, and if its time *doesn't* come then, well, it
won't" sorts of things.

> And truly, my only quibble is with "completed", there's certainly huge
> differences between rpm and xpkg no matter how much you wish to
> lump them together.

Well, seeing as how xpkg does not, in fact, exist yet, except as ideas
in various peoples heads, I'm not quite sure how you can compare it
with *any* other system.  They are only in common association through
the term "package manager", and I don't think that anyone, least of
all myself, was attempting to compare, say, xpkg's built-in flux-
capacitor based time-travel features with RPM 6's adoption of Perl6 as
an AI language which simply guesses what the user wants before they
even install the package, thus pre-installing it and yielding the same
results in a very different way.

- Jordan