cpan2port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 29 03:42:18 PDT 2009

On Mar 28, 2009, at 21:01, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Marc Chantreux <khatar at phear.org>
>> Date: March 28, 2009 11:06:03 CDT
>> To: Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
>> Subject: Re: cpan2port
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 04:58:41AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> Thanks. It builds, so I added it to the ports tree.
>>
>> cool :)
>>
>>> $ cpan2port -r Mac::InternetConfig
>>> Unknown option: r
>>> Died at cpan2port line 270
>>> $
>>
>> outch ... deprecated doc :( i'm sorry about it: i released cpan2port
>> really fast because i thought that an almost working program is
>> better
>> than nothing but there is a lot of work to clean it.

Oh it is! And it's no problem. I'm fixing things as I find them. I
just wanted to check with you that I understand your intentions
correctly.

>>> (Line 270: "getopts('vtf:',\%opt) or die;")
>>>
>>> Further down in the manual, in the section "Flags tell to
>>> cpan2port what
>>> to do", it describes the flags "v", "t" and "f", but not the "r"
>>> from the
>>> examples.
>>
>> r was a early t ... it disapeared.
>>
>>> $ cpan2port -t Mac::InternetConfig
>>> Always commit changes to config variables to disk? [no] ^C
>>
>> yes ... that's the first question of the cpan config: cpan2port
>> relies
>> on an already configured cpan to download packages and extract
>> informations.
>>
>> It does not install anything afaik ... but you must be aware about
>> the
>> automatic depedence resolution: it have to be more tested.
>>
>>> CPAN's setup script. Is there a way to use cpan2port without
>>> having to
>>> deal with CPAN's interrogation?
>>
>> no: cpan2port needs a complete and ready to use cpan client.

Advice to anyone else doing this: You'll want to run "cpan" manually
to configure it. Answer its questions (there are only 4) and then
tell it to write those answers to its config file so it doesn't ask
every time.

If you run cpan2port and the questions haven't yet been answered,
cpan2port will ask them, but will only print the last line of each
question, which makes them unintelligible, and it doesn't give you
the cpan command prompt so you cannot tell it you would like to save
your answers (that's if you've kept the default "no" answer for the
first question about whether you want the config file to be auto-saved).