Panther tickets

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu May 21 01:46:11 PDT 2009

On 2009-5-21 12:39, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
> For MacPorts on 10.3, without some major changes to base either in redoing
> some of the GSoC privileges code or bringing in an implementation of lchown,
> MacPorts trunk/1.8 isn't going to even build on 10.3.  With 10.6 looming and
> MacPorts' continual shortness of people contributing (especially on base,
> and more especially on base for 10.3), I really don't think even vaguely
> hinting that supporting 10.3 is all that honest for us at this point.
> Personally I don't think that is fair to the users, and I am sorry for those
> still using 10.3 but if we don't have anyone actively using 10.3 and
> developing on MacPorts, we need to be true to what can be done.

+1

Panther has been unsupported since 1.6.0 (as per the 2-latest-releases
policy), and we're basically just continuing to provide dmgs for it
because someone happens to have an machine with it installed and 1.7.1
still builds there without any special coercion. If this is giving the
wrong impression, we should stop (if the release of 1.8 doesn't stop it
for us first).

If we need to come up with an official policy for handling tickets
related to unsupported platforms, I would suggested immediately closing
them as WONTFIX unless a patch is provided. While Jordan certainly has a
point about future maintainability, I don't think it's too bad if the
legacy goop is all contained inside a darwin_7 platform variant, so
rejecting patches seems a little harsh.

Finally, if someone really wants to create a branch for legacy support,
they are welcome to do so, though I agree it seems like a lot of work
for the benefit it would provide.

- Josh