Panther tickets

Emmanuel Hainry milosh at macports.org
Thu May 21 02:43:19 PDT 2009

Citando Joshua Root :

> Panther has been unsupported since 1.6.0 (as per the 2-latest-releases
> policy), and we're basically just continuing to provide dmgs for it
> because someone happens to have an machine with it installed and 1.7.1
> still builds there without any special coercion. If this is giving the
> wrong impression, we should stop (if the release of 1.8 doesn't stop it
> for us first).

The problem with panther is that it doesn't have svn, so building from
source is quite difficult. However, I agree that macports should not
provide official binaries for unsupported architectures.

> If we need to come up with an official policy for handling tickets
> related to unsupported platforms, I would suggested immediately closing
> them as WONTFIX unless a patch is provided. While Jordan certainly has a
> point about future maintainability, I don't think it's too bad if the
> legacy goop is all contained inside a darwin_7 platform variant, so
> rejecting patches seems a little harsh.

You should also drop bugfixing for anything not macosx (linux, bsd,
puredarwin). Jordan's plan would mean you can remove a lot of code from
base: why are there different gcc default, different x11prefix? Why
should you care that some people use powerpc architectures, their
machines should already be dead (mine is) so only supporting the next
macosx release should be okay.

If browsing the hundreds of open tickets is a hassle because of 10
concerning other systems than leopard, give them a particular milestone
or filter or whatever like "port submissions" has so that they don't
appear in the list of "broken things that concern supported os". I
consider that closing them as wontfix should only be done once they have
laid untouched for some weeks.

Emmanuel