Improve launchd / startupitems functionality ?

dreamcat four dreamcat4 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 15:04:27 PST 2009

Hi all,

It's recently come to my attention that we could add / extend various
launchd settings functionality. My question is what are people's
opinions on improving the startupitems functionality? It seems no-one
is particularly keen to mess around with the portstartupitem.tcl too
much. BUT i'd dearly like to help contribute whatever improvements can
be made without upsetting the apple-cart, as it were.

TCL Source:
http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/src/port1.0/portstartupitem.tcl

1 Example (no ticket yet):

Extend these new `port load` and `port unload` commands. Couldn't we
make these commands map to any org.macports.service ? (and not just
the daemondo labels). I.e. if there is no daemondo label found, then
try to run "launchctl load -w
/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.${service}.plist ?

Other Examples In Tickets:
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18174
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/22570
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/22449
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/22471

It's my hope that such avenues are worthwhile to investigate, and
perhaps to implement them if no objections.
Some feedback would be appreciated.

dreamcat4
dreamcat4 at gmail.com