replaced_by and final port review ( pureftpd pure-ftpd )

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Mon Nov 16 15:31:20 PST 2009

I made an effort to use replaced_by, but I am not seeing it in the docs.

I have a new port, pure-ftpd, the old port is pureftpd (off by one dash)

My local repo is ~/macports
cd ~/macports/net
cp -R pure-ftpd pureftpd
cd pureftpd
port edit

Added into the Portfile, at the top, after the name:
replaced_by	pure-ftpd
Changed the name of the portfile to the old name, pureftpd

Saved the file

cd ~/macports; portindex

Creating software index in /Users/me/macports
Adding port net/pure-ftpd
Adding port net/pureftpd

cd ~/macports/pureftpd
sudo port -d install

And it happily went about installing itself.  Where did I slip up, and
what is the bare min I need in the replaced_by Portfile? I was
thinking just:
PortSystem          1.0

name                pureftpd
replaced_by	    pure-ftpd
categories          net
platforms           darwin

I then submit that diff to the original port?

I am going to submit this today/tonight if I finish up the launchd
plist's that I want to add to this, but the Portfile seems to be done,
and works.  There was an update to pure-ftpd two days ago, so I bumped
it and made the needed changes.  It passed livecheck, which told me I
needed an update before I bumped it.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/340087/Drops/11.16.09/Portfile-dea0db16-151709.txt

I am happy with the variants languages section, so if someone can look
at that and tell me I did good or bad, I would appreciate it.  I have
many languages, prepending lang_ to them, which of could would freak
out configure since it does not want to see lang_.  With a little tcl
repeat loop, I was able to make adding languages easier.

I wish I remember which port that was pointed to me that got me down
the path of using an eval to generate the variants.

What else is cool, is that in working with the developer, I got --
localstatedir, which I think as of this release, is not needed
anymore, but with that, and a few other things, every man page is
updated to use ${prefix} as well.  At least, nothing is in /etc
anymore.  Pretty nice.