py26-numpy, py26-scipy, and macports atlas/lapack/blas

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Sat Oct 3 09:17:38 PDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 11:05:28AM -0500, Adam Mercer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 22:06, James Kyle <jameskyle at macports.org> wrote:
>
> > Both numpy and scipy tests pass 100% after this change.

> >> <nose.result.TextTestResult run=2030 errors=0 failures=0>

> >> <nose.result.TextTestResult run=3488 errors=0 failures=0>
>
> What platform is this on? Leopard, SL?
>
> I really like this idea, but the main thing that concerns me is that
> any port that depends on numpy will now also depend on gcc43, or gcc44
> (which seems like a better idea), this is a big change as gcc takes a
> _long_ time to build.

If the MacPorts gcc44 maintainers would adopt the gcc44-disable-libjava.diff
patch that is used in the fink gcc4x builds...

http://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/21341/gcc44-disable-libjava.diff

and pass --disable-libjava-multilib to configure, the time required
for the gcc44 package to build would be significantly reduced. It is
pretty absurd to waste time building the libjava multilib since no
one will ever use it. This is why RedHat came up with that patch for
their rpms.
          Jack