py26-numpy, py26-scipy, and macports atlas/lapack/blas

Maximilian Nickel mnick at macports.org
Sat Oct 3 09:41:23 PDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Adam Mercer <ram at macports.org> wrote:
> I really like this idea, but the main thing that concerns me is that
> any port that depends on numpy will now also depend on gcc43, or gcc44
> (which seems like a better idea), this is a big change as gcc takes a
> _long_ time to build.

ATLAS is no small compilation either. But i don't see a problem here
since James' Portfile
provides variants for gcc and altas, so one could turn these
dependencies of. However i'd like
to propose renaming the no_* variants into gcc43 and atlas and making
them default variants.
This way additional variants like gcc44 could easily be added

Cheers
Max