confusion in base regarding [option os.arch] and ${os.arch}

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 7 18:43:27 PDT 2009

On Oct 7, 2009, at 20:31, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> Does anyone care to check my changes?  This patch enables the use of
> build_arch for the portarchive mode naming schemes.  This includes
> the directory and the portion of the archive name involving the arch.

It looks like a simple enough change to me. But I'm not familiar
enough with base to understand why the [option os.arch] syntax was
used to read the variable instead of ${os.arch} so I don't know
whether perhaps that syntax might be needed now in some places to read
configure.build_arch.

> It works for me, but I only have an x86_64 to test on.

You could create a second MacPorts installation in a different prefix,
and set build_arch to i386 in macports.conf, and see if i386 works
properly.