pureftpd creates files outside of prefix

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Oct 9 01:33:28 PDT 2009

I am not sure if this violation is happening as a result of the
portfile, my startup options, or a compile patch that would need to be
applied.

I wanted to start here, and then I can take this to the developer, if
possible.  So far, I have not had any luck with official support on
their mailing list.

http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/net/pureftpd/Portfile

I created my own launchd item, perhaps for basic sample inclusion some
day, which starts pureftpd.  For those who are not aware, pureftpd
starts entirely via arguments, no config file required:

		<string>/opt/local/sbin/pure-ftpd</string>
		<string>--chrooteveryone</string>
		<string>--displaydotfiles</string>
		<string>--noanonymous</string>
		<string>--createhomedir</string>
		<string>--maxdiskusagepct=80</string>
		<string>--allowdotfiles</string>
		<string>--minuid=1</string>
		<string>--umask=133:022</string>
		<string>--maxclientsperip=5</string>
		<string>--maxidletime=10</string>
		<string>--altlog=stats:/opt/local/var/log/ftp/ftp_xfer.log</string>
		<string>--login=mysql:/opt/local/etc/pure-ftpd/pure-ftpd-mysql.conf</
string>
		<string>--dontresolve</string>
		<string>--customerproof</string>
		<string>--tls=1</string>

$file /var/run/pure-ftpd/
/var/run/pure-ftpd/: directory

$ls -la /var/run/pure-ftpd | wc -l
       98

I can not determine from the docs, or google, what these 98 files are.
-rw-------  1 root  daemon  1448 Oct  9 00:59 client-00014270
-rw-------  1 root  daemon  1448 Oct  9 01:01 client-00014287
-rw-------  1 root  daemon  1448 Oct  9 01:02 client-00014290
-rw-------  1 root  daemon  1448 Oct  9 01:05 client-00014299

$file client-00014310
client-00014310: data

There should also be a pure-ftpd.pid file in ${prefix}/var/run which
is missing from both locations.  From what I understand, pureftpd
starts on demand, and is not always running, so I made sure to login
via ftp and look for a pid file, none to be found.

I am going to cross post parts of this sans the ${prefix} stuff to the
pureftpd mailing list and will report back any findings.