The opendarwin .com debacle

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Wed Oct 14 13:16:06 PDT 2009

> Two times now I've had someone tell me Fink was a better experience
> than Mac Ports to learn they had been to the .com site.
>
> If two users were misinformed by the .com site, how many more are,
> have been, or will be?

I've come across some users in IRC that were equally confused.  He
needs to know he is not helping.

I recall in the past when reading his emails with the portmgrs that he
thought it was helpful to visitors.  We need to document that it's
clearly not and inform him as such.  Legal action can already be taken
since macports.org is copywriter with all rights reserved.  He is
likely stealing content from us.

> It appears the owner has turned to the dark side. Without getting
> into too much of a cat and mouse game, what about some very basic
> counter measures?

Indeed, there is another domain suffix "protected" so you cannot tell
who registered it.  At least I didn't know about this additional one
until today.

> He must be syncing the port tree from some machine on a schedule,
> why not block that machine?

We can likely match the IP address up with the one that site is on.  I
can't imagine that he uses more than one machine to do this.

> Isn't the site is violation of some aspect of some license of some
> form? If that is the case, make him release his source, or stop, or
> whatever we can find to make this go away.

It is a violation:  all rights for access to content on macports.org
are RESERVED.  We can technically already slap him with a takedown
notice.

> Not that a lot of people use my DNS, but I'm tempted to add a zone
> for his .com to point to nowhere. It's technicaly a phishing or
> malware site, perhaps a mass effort to report the domain to the in
> built browser phishing and malware lists is in order?

Eh ... get opendns to block him. That'd be a more noticeable step
forward, then work with ISPs to block him.

I'd like to front some money to portmgr (or backorder them myself) to
prevent this guy from containing to masquerade.