The opendarwin .com debacle

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Oct 22 13:45:25 PDT 2009

On Oct 22, 2009, at 12:09 PM, James Kyle wrote:

> Given the guy is unscrupulous, there's no telling what kind of
> current version of google bombing he might be using to boost his
> rankings.

I do not think much, I think he is riding the train of strong rankings
from years ago, and no other site has challenged his ranking, so he
just holds onto it.

> Are there any legal issues involved with just claiming authority on
> the domain on my dns servers and redirecting to a page that informs
> the user of its lack of affiliation with the macports project proper
> and then providing links to both or some such?

Your DNS, do as you see fit.  If you were a root server, then I
suspect you would have an issue, as NetSol did with their NXDOMAIN
thing a while back.

> My dns server could potentially have a rather far reaching impact.

I was going to do the same, though my DNS server does not have such
far reaching impact, but more out of principle.  Perhaps enough pokes
at openDNS and and the malware url checking service Safari and FireFox
use, could get his domain listed as a scam site, which is very much is
as it asks for money.