Port Function to Handle OS Upgrades

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Oct 23 13:01:59 PDT 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 12:58 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2009, at 14:53, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> Valuable regardless of preparing for an OS upgrade or not.  I would
>> see there being times I may want to do any of the below, at any
>> given time, for some reason.
>>
>> Uninstall everything is also a nice one.
>
> Well, you already can.
>
>>> * remove all build directories
>
> sudo port clean all
>
>>> * trash all irrelevant archives
>
> Define irrelevant.
>
>>> * dump a list of what is installed (either to be read in by
>>> another function or simply catted to port)
>
> port installed > myports.txt
>
>>> * uninstall everything
>
> sudo port -f uninstall installed

Well, holy smokes.  Am I blind, aside from immersing myself in a
rather large man page, where would I have learned this commands?
These are each FAQ lines in their own right as far as I can see.  I
very much think I represent the end user to a degree.  Not afraid to
read at all, but man pages often times lack examples, which are some
of the best ways to learn for me.