Port Function to Handle OS Upgrades

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 23 13:13:29 PDT 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 15:01, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2009, at 12:58 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Oct 23, 2009, at 14:53, Scott Haneda wrote:
>>
>>> Valuable regardless of preparing for an OS upgrade or not.  I
>>> would see there being times I may want to do any of the below, at
>>> any given time, for some reason.
>>>
>>> Uninstall everything is also a nice one.
>>
>> Well, you already can.

>> sudo port clean all

>> Define irrelevant.

>> port installed > myports.txt

>> sudo port -f uninstall installed
>
> Well, holy smokes.  Am I blind, aside from immersing myself in a
> rather large man page, where would I have learned this commands?
> These are each FAQ lines in their own right as far as I can see.  I
> very much think I represent the end user to a degree.  Not afraid to
> read at all, but man pages often times lack examples, which are some
> of the best ways to learn for me.

The three examples above came from the Migration page.

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

It's often hard for us old-timers to see where documentation is
lacking, since we already have it in our heads. You can of course
write FAQ entries yourself, since it's in the wiki. If you have
documentation or man page suggestions, please file tickets.