Port Function to Handle OS Upgrades

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Fri Oct 23 13:14:43 PDT 2009

>>>> * remove all build directories
>>
>> sudo port clean all

Far inferior to sudo rm -rf ${prefix}/var/macports/build

>> Define irrelevant.

Not supposed by this architecture or OS version or simply outdated/
replaced by a newer version.

>> port installed > myports.txt

What's with all this "active" stuff listed after it getting in the way
of ports parsing that? >_>

>> sudo port -f uninstall installed

Again, sudo rm -rf $prefix is faster.  Especially on a G4/G5.

The point being one step to do all this, not "how do I do all this
individually and have to tell every users to do this list of steps
when they're upgrading"

> Well, holy smokes.  Am I blind, aside from immersing myself in a
> rather large man page, where would I have learned this commands?

Just irrelevant to the conversation.

> These are each FAQ lines in their own right as far as I can see.  I
> very much think I represent the end user to a degree.  Not afraid to
> read at all, but man pages often times lack examples, which are some
> of the best ways to learn for me.

I'd disagree as I've had to help far too many and deal with far too
many tickets that should have dealt with be a knowledgeable user.

Most didn't even read the Migration page.