Dependency on developer tools

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Oct 23 13:29:24 PDT 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 4:11 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2009, at 15:00, Scott Haneda wrote:
>> You just saddened me as I run multiple PPC servers :)
>
> I understand, and I am on your side. I want to support older
> systems. But we appear to be in the minority.

so support them ... no one is stopping you (or anyone) from testing
and generating patches for port maintainers...

If there are people interested in it, they are the best ones to make
it happen.

> I also once suggested that MacPorts should send stats about what got
> installed up to our server so we can tell what ports are popular,
> and also what kinds of systems people are running them on. But this
> was seen as "phoning home" and an invasion of privacy. It could be
> an opt-in feature, but I thought this would make it less useful.

Maybe it would be less useful, but it would be something to start with
(and as opt-in it would hopefully avoid irritating users who for
whatever reason did not want to share information about their setup).

If we made archives a priority we could just track download stats for
the pre-build archives ;-)

--
Daniel J. Luke