Dependency on developer tools

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 23 17:48:16 PDT 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 19:44, Michael Crawford wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I would want to track the user's current Mac OS X, Xcode and MacPorts
>> versions, and for each installed port, its epoch, version, revision,
>> variants, build_arch, universal_archs. Of course, we don't
>> currently track
>> build_arch and universal_archs for each installed port, though we
>> really
>> need to.
>
> Perhaps it would be useful to use an AppleScript to launch System
> Profiler, then generate and submit a System Profiler report.
>
> That would get you extremely detailed information.
>
> Some users might feel that it was excessively obtrusive though.

That's far more detail than we need. I just want the OS version, which
is easily obtainable with "sw_vers -productVersion", and the Xcode
version, which is easily obtainable by using "defaults read /Developer/
Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Info CFBundleShortVersionString".

FYI, System Profiler's information is also easily obtainable from the
command line, using the "system_profiler" command; AppleScript is not
necessary.