Port Function to Handle OS Upgrades

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Fri Oct 23 13:38:53 PDT 2009

>>> sudo port clean all
>>
>> Far inferior to sudo rm -rf ${prefix}/var/macports/build
>
> How is it inferior, aside from being slower?

Well, ports that are removed or have their workdir changed are
unaccounted for.  They'll be perpetually left behind by any index-fed
commands.

>>> sudo port -f uninstall installed
>>
>> Again, sudo rm -rf $prefix is faster.  Especially on a G4/G5.
>
> And totally not the same thing. "sudo port -f uninstall installed"
> uninstalls your installed ports, while leaving behind MacPorts base
> itself AND any configuration files or databases you may have
> created. This is the key difference. We don't want to advocate a
> command that would cause the user to lose data.

That's a good point.  So we need to mitigate files being lost forever
during an upgrade ... lest they be left int he tree forever.

> Also, note ports are not necessarily contained within ${prefix}.
> Better let MacPorts uninstall the software correctly from wherever
> it's installed.

Yes, yes. Harped on the speed thing and ignored this whole aspect.

>> The point being one step to do all this, not "how do I do all this
>> individually and have to tell every users to do this list of steps
>> when they're upgrading"
>
> Scott asked how to do these steps individually, so I showed him how.

Rinse lather and repeat for a few thousand users.

> Scott's saying we don't have enough documentation on how to use
> MacPorts. You're saying users don't read the documentation we do
> have. Is that right? If that's true, then we either need to
> publicize the available documentation better, or simplify it so it's
> more understandable to end users.

I'm neutral on us having enough documentation, but I definitely know
what we do have documented doesn't get read by the majority of the
user base.