[Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Snow Leopard +universal necessity

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 2 09:14:19 PDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 12:08 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

>>> Not installing dependencies universal causes issues like this:
>>>
>>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20912
>>
>> Its just my opinion of course but I intensely dislike the idea of
>> being forced to build all of my numerous ports "universal" instead
>> of just fixing the ones that need to be 32 bit.
>
> While some (xulrunner, firefox) just need new inline-asm to be
> written for 64bit support, others (wine) may *NEVER* actually work
> in 64bit.  It may be the case that users need a 32bit wine for win32
> and a 64bit wine for win64.  ... so it's not really trivially
> fixable when it is by design.

Jeremy, I'm sorry to be that unclear: what I meant was "modify the
port file to build universal" for each port that needed that.  In
other words fix the individual port files as needed instead of
building all ports universal..

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X ver 10.6 Darwin 10.6
XQuartz 2.3.4 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple45)
Mac Mini Intel Duo @ 1.86 GHz

Mundus vult decepi, ego non