[Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Snow Leopard +universal necessity

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 2 10:35:29 PDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2009, at 11:04, William Davis wrote:
>

>> On Sep 2, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> On Snow Leopard, we build x86_64 by default. But there are some
>>> ports, e.g. wine, that cannot build 64-bit, so they force
>>> themselves to build 32-bit instead. But that means all the
>>> dependencies must also be 32-bit, or 32-/64-bit universal. So it
>>> seems like it should probably be our recommendation to all Snow
>>> Leopard users to install all possible ports +universal for x86_64/
>>> i386, to avoid pain down the road when the user wants to install a
>>> port that happens to only be available as 32-bit. Most easily this
>>> could be accomplished by putting "+universal" into variants.conf.
>>> Maybe we should even do so in the default variants.conf on Snow
>>> Leopard.
>>>
>>> Not installing dependencies universal causes issues like this:
>>>
>>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20912
>>
>> Its just my opinion of course but I intensely dislike the idea of
>> being forced to build all of my numerous ports "universal" instead
>> of just fixing the ones that need to be 32 bit.
>
> You mean fixing them so they can build 64-bit? Feel free to read
> over the link I posted describing what still needs to be done before
> wine can build 64-bit.
>
> What do you dislike about building universal?
>
> Nobody's forcing you to build universal. I was recommending
> universal because I believe it will resolve some issues before they
> even occur. If you would rather encounter the issues, you could
> certainly ignore the recommendation, or if we change MacPorts to
> include universal in the default variants.conf on Snow Leopard, you
> could remove it from there again if desired.

Yes I can just remove it.  I would, I suppose, have to set up my own
local port system and modify all the portfiles needing 32-bit builds
individually...... It just seems simpler to me to have port rebuild
dependents as universal whenever that was needed instead of building
them all universal, whether needed or not.

My own programing experience goes back to the days when I had to
change the cords in a patch-panel to reformat a reports output so I
have a built in antipathy to waste.

But that's just me, "your milage may vary!"

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X ver 10.6 Darwin 10.6
XQuartz 2.3.4 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple45)
Mac Mini Intel Duo @ 1.86 GHz

Mundus vult decepi, ego non