[Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Snow Leopard +universal necessity

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Sep 2 14:31:21 PDT 2009

On 2009-9-3 03:35, William Davis wrote:
> It just seems simpler to me to have port rebuild
> dependents as universal whenever that was needed instead of building
> them all universal, whether needed or not.

Well of course that's simpler for you, but it's not simpler for whoever
has to implement that feature! ;-)

There is already a ticket open for this feature request:
<http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20739>

As you can see, Ryan is well aware of it. I believe he has been
discussing what we can do in the meantime to mitigate these issues, not
saying that these interim measures would be the ideal solution.

My initial thought is that ports that can only be built for limited
architectures should be checking the archs of their dependencies and
giving an informative error message if they are not what's needed.

- Josh