[Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Snow Leopard +universal necessity

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 2 16:33:44 PDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 5:31 PM, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2009-9-3 03:35, William Davis wrote:
>> It just seems simpler to me to have port rebuild
>> dependents as universal whenever that was needed instead of building
>> them all universal, whether needed or not.
>
> Well of course that's simpler for you, but it's not simpler for
> whoever
> has to implement that feature! ;-)

Yes, well, there is that aspect of it!  I'm very conscious of all the
work Ryan does around here, and didn't mean to sound unappreciative.

> There is already a ticket open for this feature request:
> <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20739>
>
> As you can see, Ryan is well aware of it. I believe he has been
> discussing what we can do in the meantime to mitigate these issues,
> not
> saying that these interim measures would be the ideal solution.

I do see that he wasn't proposing +universal as a permanent fix .

> My initial thought is that ports that can only be built for limited
> architectures should be checking the archs of their dependencies and
> giving an informative error message if they are not what's needed.
>
> - Josh

To me that seems the preferable temp fix, but of course the person
doing the work should have the greatest weight.

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X ver 10.6 Darwin 10.6
XQuartz 2.3.4 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple45)
Mac Mini Intel Duo @ 1.86 GHz

Mundus vult decepi, ego non