Write to HFS in Snow Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 8 18:19:03 PDT 2009

On Sep 8, 2009, at 19:43, Rainer Müller wrote:

> On 2009-09-09 01:52 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> It seems Apple has decided that in Snow Leopard we may now only read
>> HFS volumes but not write to them. I need to write to an HFS disk
>> image. Anybody know of a way to still do this in Snow Leopard?
>
> Wow, didn't notice and probably would not have ever. Just out of
> interest, where do you still have to deal with OS versions which do
> not
> yet understand HFS+?
>
> I guess besides XNU, there are no useful third-party HFS
> implementations
> available except the one in the Linux kernel. But I don't think
> there is
> enough public interest to port any existing drivers to a Snow Leopard
> kernel extension...

Mini vMac, the Mac Plus emulator. Its configuration program can only
be run within itself. So I need to write to a disk image to set up
this bootstrapping environment. See:

http://trac.macports.org/browser/users/ryandesign/minivmac/Portfile?rev=44609

(Because of upstream changes I will have to revert back to that
method, except now with Snow Leopard, I can't.)