"niced" processes on leopard

Yen, Wenchieh yenwenchieh at gmx.de
Fri Sep 11 05:47:59 PDT 2009

ok Toby,

By creating 2 'yes > /dev/null' and one 'nice -n 19 yes > /dev/null' on
my core2duo, I would expect to see 2 cpus get near 100% load while one
get supressed due to a lower priority.

What I got was quite equally distributed cpu cycles to these 3 (though
the niced one seemed to have a slightly lower load). I checked it with
'top' or 'Activity Monitor'.

In the mean time I checked the niced one with 'ps'. The STAT column
showed 'RN+' -- implying it was niced.

cheers,