"niced" processes on leopard

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Sep 11 06:25:20 PDT 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Yen, Wenchieh wrote:
> By creating 2 'yes > /dev/null' and one 'nice -n 19 yes > /dev/null'
> on
> my core2duo, I would expect to see 2 cpus get near 100% load while one
> get supressed due to a lower priority.
>
> What I got was quite equally distributed cpu cycles to these 3 (though
> the niced one seemed to have a slightly lower load). I checked it with
> 'top' or 'Activity Monitor'.
>
> In the mean time I checked the niced one with 'ps'. The STAT column
> showed 'RN+' -- implying it was niced.

You can file a bug with Apple if you want to see something like a
'scavenge class' for nice (or some way to mark a process so it only
gets 'idle' or otherwise unused CPU cycles)... maybe it will
eventually be implemented.

I don't have 10.6 yet, so I don't know how different it is (or seems
to be), but you haven't been able to nice things to work that way on
any release of Mac OS X (going back prior to 10.0, even).

--
Daniel J. Luke