portfile and install scripts

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Sat Sep 12 03:45:34 PDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 01:54:38AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I'm not sure it makes sense to symlink the manpages into the doc
> directory. Manpages should be in the share/man directory so that the man
> command can find them. Speaking of which, would the man command find
> manpages in ${prefix}/share/molmol/man? I wouldn't think so, so I would
> suggest moving the manpages from wherever they get installed to $
> {prefix}/share/man/manX where X is the correct category number. Or if
> the configure script (if there is one) has a --mandir parameter or other
> way you can influence where manpages go, use that instead of moving it
> later.

Ryan,
   The molmol package doesn't have a proper 'make install' so we
have always just pruned the source tree and set up the symlinks
for the compiled binary to run. In this case, because it carries
along a number of non-code support files, in fink it was placed
in %p/share/molmol rather than %p/lib/molmol. I will likely cleanup
the installation approach some more compared to what we used in
fink but first need to get my sea legs on this new packaging
system.
   FYI, one reason I moved over from fink (where I used to maintain
the gcc4X, openmotf3/4, lesstif, openmmpi, lammpi, gromacs(-mpi),
sparky-py, molmol, pymol-py, relax-py, ccpnmr-py packges among
others) is to make sure I can still test against X11 Xquartz.
My goal over the few months is to at least get molmol, sparky and
pymol into MacPorts. I assume that there isn't the same -py
type of variant in fink (although it is less important at the
moment since most code really can't survive the transition to
python 3.1.x and it seems s unlikely upstream will move beyond a
python 2.6.x release in the python 2.x series).
                    Jack
ps I'll also make sure than any changes I can find from our
fink x86_64 transition are ticketed here. In particular, I found
a bug in lesstif 0.95.2 which caused nedit to bus error (due
to an incorrect merge upstream of debian's submitted 64-bit patches).

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2846234&group_id=8596&atid=308596