portfile and install scripts

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Sat Sep 12 13:58:33 PDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 03:45:54PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2009, at 05:52, Jack Howarth wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 01:54:38AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>>

>>> Ok, looks like a shell script with some variable substitution.
>>> MacPorts
>>> portfiles have (more verbosely-named) variables for the same kinds of
>>> things, but portfiles are Tcl scripts, not shell scripts.
>>
>>   One question on that. If push came to shove and you absolutely
>> needed
>> a shell script, wouldn't it be possible to just add patches to the
>> package
>> the could create an shell script that could be executed 'sh
>> build_script.sh'
>> from within the appropriate phase? Not that I would resort to that but
>> it
>> seemed like a possible last resort option if necessary.
>
> Yes, you can run shell commands or entire shell scripts from Tcl if you
> need to. But when there's no need to, we would like to see Portfiles do
> things in Tcl, because that is the language we've chosen for Portfiles,
> the language other Portfiles are written in, and the language other
> Portfile authors know.

Never underestimate how crufty some of the science codes can be. I will
likely have to resort to that if I port my current pymol-py packaging
from fink (which builds and installs the pynmr pymol plugin).
                    Jack
ps I posted my initial molmol packaging for macports to the list but
it looks like I am tickling a bug in the macports x11 packages. Perhaps
I could be missing a necessary x11 dependency but I can't see what it
would be since the package builds and links fine. I also added a
ticket for openmotif to update it to 2.3.2 and add the uintptr_t patch
I used in fink's openmotif4.