portfile and install scripts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 12 13:45:54 PDT 2009

On Sep 12, 2009, at 05:52, Jack Howarth wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 01:54:38AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>

>> Ok, looks like a shell script with some variable substitution.
>> MacPorts
>> portfiles have (more verbosely-named) variables for the same kinds of
>> things, but portfiles are Tcl scripts, not shell scripts.
>
>   One question on that. If push came to shove and you absolutely
> needed
> a shell script, wouldn't it be possible to just add patches to the
> package
> the could create an shell script that could be executed 'sh
> build_script.sh'
> from within the appropriate phase? Not that I would resort to that
> but it
> seemed like a possible last resort option if necessary.

Yes, you can run shell commands or entire shell scripts from Tcl if
you need to. But when there's no need to, we would like to see
Portfiles do things in Tcl, because that is the language we've chosen
for Portfiles, the language other Portfiles are written in, and the
language other Portfile authors know.