x86_64 10.5/i386 fink 10.6 and the options for MacPorts

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Sep 14 01:07:53 PDT 2009

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> I guess that's what you get from upgrading on yearly rather than
>> weekly basis.
>
> Yes, we must must must release new versions more frequently. :-/

Actually I meant *me* upgrading my packages, and it's just fine :-)

The MacPorts release doesn't include any release version of ports
anyway, just a archive snapshot of the current tree which might or
might not work. So even if "base" isn't seeing new versions often,
you are still releasing new "ports" (i.e. tree) on an hourly basis...

I would actually prefer a little less often, like a "stable" branch.
But I know MacPorts doesn't have the resources nor the interest to
do that, so I just upgrade less often instead. Like this old Tigger,
which isn't really supported anymore now that Snow Leopard is out ?

But I was mostly using MP for GTK+ anyway, can get that elsewhere.

--anders