x86_64 10.5/i386 fink 10.6 and the options for MacPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 14 02:00:07 PDT 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 03:07, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> I guess that's what you get from upgrading on yearly rather than
>>> weekly basis.
>>
>> Yes, we must must must release new versions more frequently. :-/
>
> Actually I meant *me* upgrading my packages, and it's just fine :-)

Ah, and I meant releasing new versions of MacPorts base more often
than we have been doing. There were a large number of changes in
1.8.0, several of which are causing me and I think others considerable
grief. More-frequent smaller releases would help users avoid
encountering a barrage of problems all at once.

> The MacPorts release doesn't include any release version of ports
> anyway, just a archive snapshot of the current tree which might or
> might not work. So even if "base" isn't seeing new versions often,
> you are still releasing new "ports" (i.e. tree) on an hourly basis...
>
> I would actually prefer a little less often, like a "stable" branch.
> But I know MacPorts doesn't have the resources nor the interest to
> do that, so I just upgrade less often instead. Like this old Tigger,
> which isn't really supported anymore now that Snow Leopard is out ?

According to the Guide and our tradition, we support the current OS
(i.e. Snow Leopard) and the one before that (i.e. Leopard). But we
still provide a disk image of MacPorts for Tiger, and I would like to
continue to allow ports to be used on it as much as possible. I have
upgraded my primary system from Tiger to Snow Leopard and I expect the
number of maintainers with access to Tiger is dwindling, so you should
expect more ports to break on Tiger as ports get updated and not
tested on Tiger anymore. But please do file tickets for problems
encountered on Tiger. I can still boot to Tiger if needed to test and
fix things.