x86_64 10.5/i386 fink 10.6 and the options for MacPorts

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Sep 14 02:47:25 PDT 2009

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> I would actually prefer a little less often, like a "stable" branch.
>> But I know MacPorts doesn't have the resources nor the interest to
>> do that, so I just upgrade less often instead. Like this old Tigger,
>> which isn't really supported anymore now that Snow Leopard is out ?
>
> According to the Guide and our tradition, we support the current OS
> (i.e. Snow Leopard) and the one before that (i.e. Leopard). But we
> still provide a disk image of MacPorts for Tiger, and I would like
> to continue to allow ports to be used on it as much as possible. I
> have upgraded my primary system from Tiger to Snow Leopard and I
> expect the number of maintainers with access to Tiger is dwindling,
> so you should expect more ports to break on Tiger as ports get
> updated and not tested on Tiger anymore. But please do file tickets
> for problems encountered on Tiger. I can still boot to Tiger if
> needed to test and fix things.

I have upgraded to Leopard (without the Snow), can boot into Tiger.
But normally, I still build Universal Binaries with the 10.4 SDK...
When not in MacPorts that is, since it doesn't do cross-compiles and
doesn't really build binary packages either. Just "regular Mac OS X".

I expect Tiger to be every bit as much deprecated now as Panther was
in MacPorts 1.7 (and Jaguar in MacPorts 1.4, or whenever it died...)
So wouldn't the +darwin_8 variants be deleted in MacPorts 1.9 anyway ?
But sure, as it'll probably be running around here for a bit still...

--anders