co-existing pythons?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Mon Sep 14 08:26:31 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 09:49:03AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> We have the python_select script. Ideally ports would not require the
> user to have selected a particular python, and would work with $
> {prefix}/bin/python24 or whatever directly.

I believe the original idea was to avoid forcing users to install
multiple versions of python in fink. They could decide which
version of python they thought was best and install all of
the packages as -py23, -py24, -p25 or -p26 variants. At the
moment the recommended set of python variants is reduced
down to -py25 and -py26.
       Jack